The best time to think about how you’ll water your landscape is actually before you install it. That’s because a healthy and efficient landscape plan considers how much water your plants need and how best to get that water to the root systems of your plants.
This week’s video brings Lisa Osborne, the Drab to Fab Backyard Rehab Contest winner, together with Warren Gorowitz, vice President of Sustainability at Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply, to discuss the right irrigation tools to use for different types of plant materials.
Here are five easy steps that you can use to help your hard drink responsibly:
1. Change traditional spray head nozzles to multi-stream rotating nozzles to save 30 percent water.
2. Use drip irrigation for landscape plants.
3. Choose the right emitter for the right plant to release the right amount of water.
4. Consider using a WaterSense-labeled controller that schedules watering based on weather conditions.
5. Educate yourself! Check with your local water provider for more information, including landscape watering workshops or a copy of Landscape Watering by the Numbers. Then, learn from some free video tutorials online.
Remember, up to 70 percent of your home water is used outdoors. Be sure to give your plants the proper
amount of water, all year round, to create a beautiful landscape that doesn’t drink more than its share.
We are almost ready to begin installation in Lisa’s yard. In next week’s video, we’ll sit down with a designer and installer to unveil the blueprints based on the homeowner’s vision.
If you missed any of the previous videos, you can watch them on our Drab to Fab page, and get great tips on how to transform your own yard from drab to fabulous!