Which American city can be the most water-wise this year?
As many of you already know April is Water Awareness Month (WAM) in Arizona! If you are looking for additional ways to become involved in your city’s water conservation goals here is an easy and rewarding – and AWARDing – way to celebrate WAM and that is by taking the National Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation.
This challenge is sponsored by the Wyland Foundation; a non-profit founded by Wyland an environmental artist that works to help children and families around the nation to rediscover the importance of healthy oceans and waterways through public art programs. Wyland is well known for his breathtaking outdoor murals of whales and other ocean life, his sole mission is to raise awareness of marine life conservation through his work of art.
Wyland’s National Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation is an annual friendly competition which challenges cities across the U.S. to inspire water conservation efforts through an interactive series of online pledges. Cities with the highest percentage of residents who take the April challenge are entered in drawings for hundreds of environmentally friendly prizes, including a 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in!
Every Arizonan should be proud to know that not only did Tucson win first place in its city category last year but one of their residents drove home the grand prize of a Toyota Prius. Let’s have Arizona win the challenge for the second year in a row! Make your state and city proud by taking this year’s water conservation challenge. Take the pledge now at www.mywaterpledge.com and let’s continue using water wisely!
How the challenge works
- Take the “My Water Pledge” on behalf of your city.
- See how much you’ve pledged to save.
- If your city wins and/or you choose to enter the prize drawing, you are eligible to win one of the following prizes:
- Grand Prize: Toyota Prius Plug-in
- $1000 Shopping Spree at a Home Improvement Store
- 50 Smart Irrigation Controllers from The Toro Company
- 40 EcoFlow Showerheads
- 250 Home Improvement Store Gift Cards ($25 value)
My Top Eight Water-Saving Pledges
Below are a few of my favorite water-saving tips that I gathered from taking the pledge. By making these pledges I will save: 42,267 gallons of water each year!
In my home:
1. Fix that leak!
2. Use low-flow water devices
3. Choose Energy Star appliances & WaterSense label
In my yard:
4. Landscape design with water in mind! Choose climate-appropriate designs
5. Scoop the poop! Protect our waterways from pet waste
6. Know the appropriate landscape watering schedule & avoid watering when it’s windy!
In my community:
7. Learn about our watershed and identify ways that you can help prevent polluted runoff from your home
8. Promoting water-efficient practices and services to your community
Laura Azevedo is an Environmental & Sustainability intern with the City of Mesa, AZ, one of fifteen Water – Use It Wisely partners to offer water-saving advice and programs.
« Celebrate Trees for Arbor Day! Next Article:
Celebrate AZ Water Photo Contest »