Spring is here, and the wildflowers are already blooming! What better way to usher in a new season than to wander through nature and take a look at some of the best ways to enjoy it, especially with a visit to the Glendale Xeriscape (Low-Water-Use) Demonstration Garden!
1) Bountiful Blooms – See a spectrum of color among the flowers and foliage. Red: Firecracker Penstemon, Fuchsia: Emu Bush, Orange: Mexican Honeysuckle, Yellow: Desert Marigold, Green: Palo Verde, Purple: Texas Mountain Laurel, White: Anacocho Orchid Tree.
2) Curious Cacti – Discover dozens of different cacti species, including some with unique names: Dagger Cholla, Cow’s Horn Cactus, and Queen of the Night.
3) Feathered Friends – From hummingbirds to peafowl, the garden provides critical habitat (e.g. food, shelter, water, and nesting sites) for wildlife (including some exotic species) in our urban environment.
4) Resourceful Rain Garden – Come visit the garden after a rain event to see the new rain garden in action. Learn one of the best water-wise ideas for our desert climate, how to take advantage of this fresh and free resource called ‘rain!’
5) Lovely Library – The four-acre Xeriscape Garden surrounds the Glendale Main Library. Stop in and sign-up for a free library card and check-out a book, DVD, CD, or video game!
6) Nature Nurtures – Numerous studies show that spending just a few moments in the great outdoors is good for you! If you don’t deserve 15-minutes of “me-time” strolling through the garden, who does?
Want to see more? Visit the Glendale Xeriscape Demonstration Garden on Facebook and “like” our page. Xeriscape demonstration gardens of all shapes and sizes can be found throughout the valley. To find locations, visit our Demonstrations Gardens page.
Anne Stahley is a Water Conservation Specialist with the City of Glendale Water Services Department, one of fifteen Water – Use It Wisely partners to offer water saving advice and programs.
« IS IT TIME TO TURN YOUR YARD INTO A WILDLIFE HABITAT? Next Article:
IN ARIZONA WE CARE, WE’RE WATER AWARE »